When it comes to home repairs and improvements, we as the handyman experts
have seen it all. We have experience in nearly every aspect of the home.
Calling a professional for your home repair projects can save you time
and trouble of trying to figure it out and research the project yourself.
However, as the handyman experts we recognize that not all home projects
need the attention of a professional. Here are some of the most common
elements that pose potential threats to your home. Let us share tips in
preventative home maintenance to help keep your home in great shape. Learn
how to detect issues before they become a major problem, which could cost
you thousands of dollars in the future.
The presence of moisture is the cause of many home problems, and can become
very messy if not attended to.
Here are some things you can do to prevent water and moisture damage to
Exterior Water Damage:
We live in the desert so there's no need to worry about outside moisture,
right? Guess again. While the desert climate leaves the air and ground
dry about 330 days per year, those rare heavy downpours can pose a significant
threat to your home.
Save your home from a potential flood by considering the following:
- Install gutters with down spouts directed away from the home
- Make sure irrigation systems are not directly hitting the foundation of
- A distance of 3 feet from the house is a good rule of thumb.
- Create a slope in the soil next to the home to direct water away from the
- Inspect your attic and roof, and around windows and doors for leaks after
heavy rains during the wet seasons.
- Seal exterior cracks in stucco.
- Moisture next to your home can help attract termites.
It's no surprise that the bathroom is prone to moisture damage; after
all, over 75% of household water is used there.
Here are some tips to prevent mold, mildew and any other problems excess
moisture can cause:
- Check for leaks under the sink every month.Leaking pipes can fly under
the radar for a while, not posing a threat until the damage is done.
- Re-caulk around your showers and tubs about once every 18 months.
- Check for cracks in tile or grout and replace or seal the open area to
prevent mildew and mold from growing.
- Use the exhaust fan while showering to prevent condensation and moisture.
- Check around the toilet to make sure there are no leaks or cracks. Leaks
around the base of the toilet and need immediate attention.
The heart of the home is also a moisture problem area, especially with
several appliances that hook up to waterlines.
Here are a few things to check to avoid any water damage.
- Dishwasher: Check the connection where the hose and the sink meet for leaks.
- Refrigerator: Refrigerators that have icemakers and water dispensers are
at risk for leaks. Make sure the hose is connected securely.
- Sink: Remove and replace old caulk around the sink, and check for leaks
under the sink.
Dirt and Dust:
Maintaining a clean home will not only make it look nice, but it will also
make your home last longer and work better. Following a regular cleaning
schedule can help cut back on energy costs and keep you from costly repairs
in the future.
Potential problems caused by dirt and dust include:
- Dust build up on compressor coils on outside units can greatly affect the
efficiency of the unit.
- HVAC units may malfunction or run more than necessary because of clogged filters.
- Dust and dirt around the baseboard can create hard to get rid of stains
on flooring and carpet
- Dirt and grime can build up on doorknobs and door surfaces that get handled
regularly, an occasional, quick wipe can keep it from staining the door.
Maintaining your home can help prevent repairs, but what about those projects
that you wantto get done around the house? Your local ToFixIt handyman
professionals can help you with your entire "honey do" list
of home project or home improvements.