Great tips for painting your home
Posted By MyGuy
Looking for ways to save money, protect your home's exterior, help
the environment and make your house look good at the same time?
There are many factors that make an ordinary Paint Job an excellent Paint
job and it all starts with the preparation. If the project is not started
right there is no paint product made that will last, so let's look
at some things that will need to be done for that quality project.
These are some of the things you should be sure your paint contractor is
completing prior to painting your home.
- Locate and kill all mildew. A mixture of bleach and water should do the
trick, mix 4 parts water to 1 part bleach and apply as needed.
- Stucco and cinder block should be pressure washed. Remove all loose paint.
Scrape sand or wire brush. Sand or use liquid sand paper to dull all the
- Sand all the weathered wood. Rough Sawn Wood, scrape only.
- Clean the sanded surfaces to remove the dust and loose paint.
- Replace all the cracked or hardened caulking with elastomeric paintable caulking.
- Mask all areas that are not to be painted if you are spraying. Don't
forget the swimming pool as the overspray will get in the water and can
clog a filter.
- Full prime (with the proper product) all surfaces that are to be painted.
Check with your painting professional.
100% Acrylic paints. Satin paint is better than flat as the flat paint will absorb water quicker
and is not as flexible.
- It is better to have one coat of primer and one coat of finish paint than
two coats of finish paint. The primers have special binders that lock
onto the old surfaces and help hold the new paint. When doing exteriors
it is recommend that you spray and back roll the paint.
- Satin paints hold up better on the exteriors as they have more resins and
resist fading for a longer period of time.
preparation is the key to a
quality long lasting paint job. Even the best paint can't make a poor preparation job look good or last.
- Paint is the least expensive part of your project so put a quality product
on your home and make it last.
To learn more tips from expert Paint Contaractors contact MyGuy today.
Open Member Website in a new window?